Lisa Goodwin-Allen's roast pheasant and pearl barley casserole
Roast Pheasant Crown
1 whole pheasant, approx. 1kg (plucked)
25ml olive oil
1. Remove the legs from the pheasant and keep to one side for the pot roasting later.
2. Evenly season the pheasant crown with salt on all sides.
3. Place the crown onto a tray and put in the oven at 120˚C degrees for about 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, brush the pheasant with melted butter and turn oven up to 220˚C. Cook for a further 10 minutes to create a crispy, golden bird.
5. Remove from the oven, pour over the cooking liquid and leave to cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes.
6. Once rested, carefully place onto a presentation plate with some fresh herbs, carve at the table and serve. Alternatively, you can remove the breasts, slice and serve.
Pot Roast Pheasant Legs and Pearl Barley Casserole
2 pheasant legs
1 lemon, zest
For the casserole:
1 clove garlic
80g pearl barley
50g onion, finely diced
50g celeriac, finely diced
50g carrot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
80g good quality pancetta, diced
300g good quality chicken stock
100g White wine
20g Worcestershire Sauce
2tbsp mixed chopped soft herbs (chervil, parsley, chives)
1. Separate the thighs from the drumsticks.
2. Place the pheasant thighs on a plate, skin side down, flesh side up.
3. Evenly rub each one with the lemon zest and garlic then season with salt.
4. In a medium sized casserole pan, sweat down the onion and pancetta bacon for about a minute.
5. Add the garlic, diced veg and barley and sweat for a further 2 minutes until it starts to caramelize slightly on the bottom
6. Deglaze with the white wine and reduce by ¾.
7. Place the thighs on top skin side up.
8. Add the chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce.
9. Bring to the boil, and once boiling, place a lid on top and put in the oven.
10. Cook for 10-15 minutes at 180˚C, until the thighs are just cooked.
11. Remove the lid from the pan and turn up the oven to 220˚c.
12. Cook the pheasant for a further 10 minutes in order to crisp up the skin.
13. Once done, remove the legs from the casserole and stir in the chopped soft herbs.
Place the crown of pheasant onto a presentation board with some fresh herbs with the casserole pot of thighs and barley on the side. Carve at the table and serve.